Are You Our Next Music Director?
Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Music Director
The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration in Lake St. Louis, Missouri seeks a part-time Music Director responsible for the music during worship services. The Music Director will work under the direction of and in collaboration with the Rector. This position requires one who is musically talented, flexible, creative, and organized. The candidate must know sacred choral music, hymns, organ repertoire, and Episcopal liturgical practices. The candidate must possess the ability to lead, teach, sing, and encourage and inspire musical participation.
The Music Director will:
- Prepare and provide musical accompaniment, and provide leadership and direction for Sunday services, which include prelude/postlude, hymns, and service music. Additional services include Holy Week, Christmas, and other special occasions such as weddings and funerals.
- Select hymns and service music in collaboration with the Rector. Available resources include the three Episcopal hymnals and other approved music.
- Play the organ and piano proficiently for accompaniment of hymns as well as anthems, solos, and prelude/postlude music. Must be able to sight-read.
- Demonstrate an ability to lead congregational singing, teach new hymns, and reintroduce the congregation to the joy of singing, with a goal to reestablish and sustain a choir.
- Spend the necessary time in preparation and rehearsal to ensure a high-quality musical result.
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Tend to administrative matters as needed, such as planning for the church year, ordering music, maintaining the music library, communicating in a timely manner, and supplying information for worship bulletins, newsletters, and publicity.
- Spend approximately 8 to 12 hours per week to fulfill the responsibilities.
A Bachelor of Music degree is preferred with a minimum of 3 years of experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to the Rector,
the Rev. Lu-Anne Conner, at: